Russian art on CD-rom

Mel Strom melstrom at UCLA.EDU
Fri Mar 31 09:20:38 UTC 2000

** Reply to message from Chris Cosner <ccosner at DEPAUW.EDU> on Thu, 30 Mar 2000
10:10:53 -0500

I have found this collection of Russian art to be quite remarkable, and have
used images from it for a number of purposes, esp. for discussions or lectures
on Russian history, intellectual history, modernism.  It was origially produced
by Digital Arts and Sciences, several years ago, as part of a series including
Japanese art, a Robert Mapplethorpe collection, a CD on Ancient Egyptian art,
and two others of masterpieces (e.g. the Frick collection).  At least two
coporate mergers and acquisitions in the last two years left me unable to trace
its availability, as I have wanted to purchase more copies.  The production is
remarkable on a number of counts;  24-bit color images; compatible w/ both Intel
(Win 3.1x and above) and Macintosh (System 7.0 and 68030 or better processor)
boxes; nearly 1300 images (!), incl. a large number of late 19th and early 20th
c. items from the State Russia Museum's collection; well indexed; reasonable, if
brief, text notes on artists and works.
My only comparison is with a commercially produced CD from the Hermitage
(Montparnasse Multimedia), but at least that comparison makes the _1000 Year of
Russian Art_ stand out even more.  Moreover, the original team, incl. Robb
Lazarus, was/is marvelous to deal with.  Thanks to you for the new reference to
a source.
==Mel Strom