Khrushchev's bury remark

VANCHU, ANTHONY J. (JSC-AH) anthony.j.vanchu1 at JSC.NASA.GOV
Mon May 8 20:30:59 UTC 2000

Genevra and Francoise bring up the important point that the American
interpretation of the Russian words matters, incorrect though it may be.
Clearly, the commonly accepted interpretation --that the Soviets would
"...kill you and therefore will have to dig your grave," lacked an
appropriate cultural context when rendered in English.  Granted, the Russian
isn't exactly expressing the warmest wishes, but it's also a far cry from
killing outright.

Since we do a lot of language and cultural training at NASA with people who
will be living and working in Moscow and Star City, Khrushchev's comment is
an example I use repeatedly to emphasize the perils of a (mis)translation
that does not take into account the original speaker's cultural and
linguistic context.  The fate of this phrase also highlights the fact that
keeping Cold War propaganda going was more important than understanding what
really happened in this incident.

Fortunately, most of our students are old enough at least to have some vague
notion of who Khrushchev even was...

Dr. Anthony Vanchu
Russian Language Program Director
TTI/JLEC