military rank in War and Peace

atacama atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Tue May 9 09:57:15 UTC 2000

Please reply to the whole list, since I am also interested.
You can find a lot of the information on the Internet if you search for
"Tables of Ranks" (Peter the Great), but the rankings did change
slightly from time to time.
Some of the information is not quite right that you might find,
eg: entry into Noble status was later lifted from 8th rank to 4th rank,
but an 8th ranking civil servant or military men could be accorded
"Personal" (non-hereditary) nobility.

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg

Laura Goering wrote:

> My students have asked me for some kind of guide to both the military ranks
> and the different kinds of regiments described in War and Peace.
 Thanks in advance.