Russian communities in the Midwest

pyz at PANIX.COM pyz at PANIX.COM
Sat May 13 18:00:50 UTC 2000

> Hello All,
> I was wondering if there are any sizable Russian-speaking communities in
> Kansas City, St. Louis, or Milwaukee. I'm not talking sizable like Brighton
> Beach, but enough people to actually have a "community" feel.

Some comments and then what I know about St. Louis (having lived there most
of my life until not too long ago, now in NYC).

I'm wondering if it's fair to call these places communities since they don't
have any institutions which seem to demarcate them as such - religious
institutions, social clubs, business associations, etc.  About the only thing
which does stand out is the presence of Russian language media, both print
and radio/tv, and certain shopping areas. In NYC, there are a plethora of
Russian language newspapers - Novoye Russkoye Slovo, Reklama, Vechirnij' Niu
Jork, etc., and the highly visible and robust shopping area of Brighton
Beach avenue.

<off soapbox>

In St. Louis, you might find one along Pershing Avenue between Union and
DeBaliviere. There was a restaurant between Clara and Belt, just west of
Belt on the north side of the street run by someone from Odessa.

Also, in the University City area, along Delmar between EastGate and
Kingsland.

In Chicago (not that you asked for it), try the area around California
and Devon.

In San Francisco (again, not that you asked for it, but hey! let's go
for a canonical list) along Geary (sp?) north of Golden Gate Park.

> If anyone can answer this, please reply off-list.
> Thanks!
> Lisa McLendon
> Mary Elizabeth (Lisa) McLendon, Ph.D.
> The University of Texas at Austin

Max Pyziur                                     BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine
pyz at brama.com                                  http://www.brama.com/