1957 Leningrad celebration

Irina Dolgova iad146 at NWU.EDU
Wed May 17 15:37:14 UTC 2000

I am searching for the reason why the 250th anniversary of Leningrad
was celebrated in June 1957.  Every book gives the founding of
Leningrad in the year of 1703. This is part of my research for my
senior thesis. One secondary source has indicated that Khrushchev may
have picked this particular year for political motivations. Any help
with this puzzle would be much appreciated.