another elementary question

Alex as at TICOM.KHARKOV.UA
Fri May 19 06:02:27 UTC 2000

Lauren Leighton wrote:

> a = a, b = b, v = v, g = g, e = e, e(io) = e, zh = zhm z = z, i = i, i
> (kratkii) = i or j, k = k l = l, m = m, n = n, o = o, p = p, r = r, s = s, t
> = t, u = u, f = f, x = x or kh, ts = ts or c, ch = ch, hard sign = ", y = y,
> sof sign = ', e = e, iu = iu or ju, ia = ia or ja. Piece of cake. Use
> Library of Congress system without signs. Don't use outmoded "French
> Russian" (e.g. final v = ff, zh = j, etc.

And this "system" I call "Russian-Americation". It's not a transliteration.
In reality it is a phonetic interpretation. It is acceptable for those people
who want to read a foreign word "properly" without learning a language.
It is acceptable when you are negotiating about some business matters.
I used it myself ten years ago when there were no means of sending cyrillic
through the net and I needed to send letters to some Russian emigrants. Some
of them are still using this system to make an excuse for their poor Russian
grammar and spelling I suppose. It is very useful in this case...
I read a lot of this stuff to hate it pretty well.

I think that linguists and language tutors should use another approach.

Why? Could you read for example fluently (feeling all its beauty)
the following stuff (using your system):

                   Varkolos', hlivkije shor'ki
                   Pyrialis' po nave
                   I hlukotali zeliuki
                   Kak miumziki v move

    (it is a well known verse from a well known book)

By the way! You may use this approach to any other language including
English itself!
Vai it shud bi samsin speshil? U si? It iz possibl! End weri pretti!

And please look at this:
        To ne shtooka zabich crooka, alie shtooka tsalkem shvezha...
Funny? Isn't it? But you recognize it at once if I write
        To nie sztuka zabic kruka, ale sztuka calkiem swieza...

The real transliteration should be something like that:

                         Nawa Tanq gromko pla4et
                         Uronila v re4ku mq4ik
                         Tiwe, Tane4ka, ne pla4>
                         Ne utonet v re4ke mq4

But every language is unique and you recognize it by its special graphics!
I think that using genuine cyrillic these days is quite affordable.
No more difficult than installing Windows! Absolutely. There are problems
from time to time but Windows itself full of bugs anyway! And you don't quit
it for that reason!
Things are moving ahead. MS DOS is still more reliable than Windows. But I suppose
most of you are using Windows now instead of pure DOS. (By the way, I'm
still using some DOS programs because they are more quick and reliable).
Look at this list's archive. There's plenty of good cyrillic. You may easily
adjust your system to read it properly.

Regards!

Farewell

Alex