Russian Studies Majors

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri May 26 19:21:45 UTC 2000

Dear Jolanta:

Please, call me Ben.

We are thinking about adding a track to our major that would be in Russian
Studies.  I would be willing to write something about it for Newsnet only
after the change is made.  That would be no earlier than the end of this
calendar year.

I decided not to renew my membership in AAASS because my research and
teaching focus on language and language -- for AAASS -- seems, at best, to
be an afterthought.  Slavic Review does not publish articles on language
teaching (and I'm not arguing it should, just recognizing the fact) and the
AAASS conference has precious few panels and papers on language teaching.
The AAASS conference almost always conflicts with the ACTFL conference, so
I have never attended the AAASS conference (despite the temptation of
Hawaii).  For all these reasons, I've decided not to renew my membership in
AAASS this year, although I wholeheartedly support the organization and its
membership because the cause of area studies is dear to us all.

- Ben

PS If you want me to write something for Newsnet, please get in touch with
me in November.