How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Renee Stillings renee at ALINGA.COM
Sat May 27 19:46:45 UTC 2000

I have spent the past 8  years living at least 50% of the time in Moscow and
have a hard time believing it is a fraction as dangerous as any western
world capital. I have far more apprehensions walking around New York--in my
own home country, speaking my own native language--than I ever have had in
Moscow. As a single woman, I've never had a fear of walking alone in any
area of Moscow or taking "unofficial taxis" several times a day. It is a
matter of common sense--those who stand out so blaringly as tourists would
get mugged in their own country for the simple reason that by nature they
are insensitive to the environment they are in. Awareness and sensitivity go
a long way in any culture in terms of self-preservation. While I've never
ultimately had any serious problems in Russia, I do see foreigners around me
there that are asking for trouble and usually alcohol has something to do
with it.

I would be very curious as to whether any other Listers have spent
considerable time living in Russia and believe that it is remotely as
dangerous as other capital cities in the world. And in that light, I wonder
why such reports are not distributed about cities like New York? Really, if
the Russian gov't is to be responsible to its own citizens, they should also
issue such reports--and just what should they write about New York, or
Detroit, for example? Something like "Even Americans fear to tread in some
neighborhoods of their own country ... ." Heck, we should issue reports
warning our own citizens not to visit some cities/neighborhoods of our own
country if we are to be completely consistent and fair.

As for muggings in cabs occupied by another person--who is the idiot that
would take a cab occupied by another person, especially an unmarked one?
That is rule number one for not just Moscow, but life. If you do it and get
into trouble, you certainly don't try to blame anyone else for it. I took a
taxi from the metro to the airport a couple of months ago and the driver
tried to bring in another passenger to make a bit of extra money. I
immediately opened the door and got out and didn't agree to go with him
unless the other guy got out. It is a bit embarrassing even that our state
department has to issue a public notice to remind Americans to not be
complete idiots. Next thing we know they are going to be reminding us to tie
our shoes. And who is giving them this feedback anyway? Other State
department employees who DID take a cab (with our tax money) occupied by
another passenger in Russia???

I apologize in advance if this is a subject I attack a bit vehemently, it is
just that it is an issue (amongst many others about Russia) so distorted by
the gov't and the press that as an organizer of study abroad programs, I
find myself having this same discussion over and over again with students
and parents who, having only read about Moscow in the press, think it is
filled with people shooting each other on the streets or looking with
awestruck eyes at foreigners as big money targets, when the fact of the
matter is that most Russians are quite aware that there are a lot more
wealthy Russians walking around than wealthy foreigners and that many such
Russians really are walking around with a wallet full of $100s (or keep
1000s stashed in a mattress) whereas smart foreigners carry very little on
their person. Yes, the foreigners appear to be easy targets, but the same
common sense and respect for your environment you'd use in any city all but
eliminates that disadvantage.