How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Pavel Samsonov p0s5658 at ACS.TAMU.EDU
Sat May 27 20:50:56 UTC 2000

Subject: Re: How safe is Moscow for Americans?

> Why is it that when something like that happens (which, like you say, can
> happen absolutely anywhere in the world) the reaction on the part of US
> universities is to cancel the program? If it were Madrid or Paris, the
> program would not have been cancelled, in fact, the official statement
would
> have been that "the student was drinking and irresponsible and made a
> judgment error" but when it is Russia, the student is never to blame? Is
our
> policy that Americans are responsible for their own actions EXCEPT when
they
> go to Russia? What is it that drives these decisions? Is it only ignorance
> or is there some other motivation?

You have touched upon a most "touchy" issue here.
First, I think the diplomatic bureaucracy  would tend to exaggerate the
danger than downplay it.
This is what bureaucrates would always do. This is safer.
Second, I believe Ms. Albright's policies have something to do with it. I
have noticed a serious change of attitudes on the part of the US Embassies
in the countries of the former Soviet Union with Ms.Albright assuming her
position of the Secretary of State.
Now it is many times harder to secure a US visa for a Russian, Belarussian
or a Ukrainian than it used to be. Embassy workers are very cold if not
unfrendly. Many people are even denied student visas, which had not been the
case before.
Perhaps the warnings that the US Embasses issue for its citizens about
safety in Russia are a part of these attitudes?

With compliments,

Pavel (Paul) Samsonov
EDAD, College of Education,
Texas A&M University