How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Kat Tancock tancockk at UVIC.CA
Sun May 28 16:01:44 UTC 2000

I think the best recommendation for travelling _anywhere_ is a bit of
research, and maybe not just the US state dept warnings?

One site I can suggest is Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com) - yes, the
people who do the travel guides. Not only do they publish great guides with
excellent safety information (not that they're the only ones, it's a good
idea to buy a travel guide when going _anywhere_ new), but they're site is a
gold mine of information, including:

- The "Thorn Tree", where you can post questions about various regions and
get (usually) informative answers, as well as browsing what other people
have asked about

- "Postcards", where travellers post useful information about places they've
been travelling

- A section on recent world news that could affect travellers, I can't
remember what it's called

- A section of updates to their guides so that everything is up to date

- Links to other useful sites, organized by region

- Basic information about each country

When I went to Russia for the first time, I did extensive reading,
especially on the internet, and grilled my friends who had already been
there. And I had no problems - a 20 year old woman on her own. The best
advice is to trust your doubts - if you feel something is wrong, don't argue
against it (devil on one shoulder, angel on the other? :) Trust your
instincts.

Kat