How safe is Moscow for Americans?

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sun May 28 18:19:44 UTC 2000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Mr Carmack wrote:

Snip

> I live in Texas, where we hardly have any public transportation, so any
> advice about public transportation in Moscow (including taxis and the metro)
> is news to me. :-) We also don't have gypsy kids running around Austin
> needling you (literally) while they take your goods.

I just want to add to this that it is not just our inexperience with the
life of large cities in USA but also our ignorance of customs of other
countries. The described custom of avoiding taking taxis with strangers
in our cities maybe is out of tune with the customs of taking taxis with
strangers in other countries where it might be not dangerous at all, and a
usual habit. At the same time, those countries might have their own
dangers for us that we might not even suspect, like just being dressed as
you would normally dress here might be offensive for some there, and
provoke an assault. The information on what should be avoided there is
really very appreciated.

I want to thank everybody for doing a real public service providing us
with the suggestions on how to lower the risk of travel.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>