program survival

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sun May 28 18:56:24 UTC 2000

Dear all: My dean at SUNY/Buffalo just wrote me a letter expressing his
sympathy that "Russian language and literature has not gained the
foothold at the U. of Buffalo that we might have wished." [Actually,
literature is doing fine.] He continues that "given the status of this
as a national problem at all but the largest and most well-established
institutions, it is...an unavoidable outcome." I would like to prove him
wrong, if possible. If any of you are at institutions that are not large
and that do not have well-established programs that are nevertheless
doing well, could you let me know? Perhaps others would be interested as
well. Thanks! Emily Tall