Inner Exile: Shadow Poets, Paintings and Poetry

Tania Gutsche laartgal at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 5 17:48:05 UTC 2000

For Immediate Release

L O I S  W A L K E R
INNER EXILE:  SHADOW POETS, PAINTINGS AND POETRY
This project is supported in part with funds from the Special Opportunity
Stipend (S.O.S.) Program through the New York Foundation for the Arts,
administered on Long Island by the East End Arts Council.

SYLVIA WHITE GALLERY
October 9 – November 1, 2000

Reception and Poetry Reading:  Saturday, October 21, 2000  3-5pm

Lois Walker, a resident of Long Island, New York, has shown her work
extensively on both coasts and internationally.  This year Walker will have
a show at the Hutchins Gallery on C.W. Post Campus in Brookville, New
York.  Most recently she has participated in shows at the Paula Vincenti
Gallery in Marbella, Spain, The Palm Springs Desert Museum, and The
Firehouse Gallery and Heckscher Museum, two New York venues.  The
installation, “Shadow Poets,” was created in 1987 growing out of Walker’s
response to Osip Mandelstam’s poetry and his wife Nadezhda’s books, Hope
against Hope and Hope Abandoned, in which she bears witness to their lives
during the years of the civil war and under Stalin.  The paintings in the
show probe the same material on canvas.  In such a visual setting, Walker,
who is also an accomplished poet, will read selections of Mandelstam and
Akhmatova’s poetry, as well as from her own similarly inspired “Nadezhda
Poems.”  Walker explains “My reading of the Mandelstam’s text from which
this is based was crucial to me for about ten years of my life – when I cut
my own strings.”  Walker’s exhibit is especially pertinent today as Russia
struggles to cut the strings of communism and rebuild a democratic system
while keeping the appreciation and valuation of the arts as vital today as
it was to the culture under less tolerant regimes.

Sylvia White Gallery is located in Santa Monica, 2022 B Broadway, and
entrance is in alley east of 20th Street.  Gallery hours are Monday through
Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or by appointment.  For more information,
please call 310.828.6200 or fax 310.453.7544.

Contact:
Tania Gutsche
Sylvia White Gallery
Contemporary Artists’ Services