nasel'nik i svyazochka -- again

Steve Marder asred at HOME.COM
Sat Oct 7 20:54:03 UTC 2000

William Ryan wrote:

> Steve,
> Very interesting. Thanks for passing the message on. On nasel'nik,
> further searching reveals no dictionary record of this as a specific
> connotation. If the word has this special terminological use it would be
> good to have some textual references to fix it. As Kate Alexeeva
> suggests, sviazochka appears to be non-specific.
> Will

Thanks for your feedback.

I too have done some additional searching. In O.T. Chalenko's
"Russian-English Religious Dictionary" (Moskva, "Nauka," 1998, 158 s.,
tirazh 1200 ekz.), we find the following: "nasel'nicy mn. nuns,
vestals." Chalenko's gem of a book does not contain the word
"svyazochka," which only goes to underscore further the non-specific
nature of the word.

Steve