the bear

Dimitri Bourilkov Dimitri.Bourilkov at CERN.CH
Sun Oct 15 09:45:36 UTC 2000

I have to disagree with Pavel. In Bulgaria you find bears today in several
big mountains (Balkan, Rila, Pirin, the Rhodopes).

Pavel Samsonov wrote:

> One of very simplistic explanations of the reference to Russia as "the
> country of bears" can be this:
> Russia (and USSR not so long ago) has been the ONLY European country (maybe
> with some exception of Finland, Norway and Sweden), where bears still exist
> in considerable numbers.
> Even in Belarus bears are not unusual. It was only 15 to 20 years ago that
> reports of bears attacking people in forests were quite common.
> Nothing of this kind can be encountered anywhere in Europe. I think bears
> became extinct in Europe quite a while ago. Bears require quite considerable
> areas of forest to survive. So the existence of bears in the forests of
> Russia could suggest to foreigners that Russia was/is a huge, forested, and
> consequently, not exactly "civilized" country.
>
> Pavel Samsonov

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

        _/_/_/_/     _/_/_/_/       Dimitri BOURILKOV
      _/      _/   _/      _/     Institute for Particle Physics, ETH Zurich
     _/      _/   _/_/_/_/       Mail: CERN, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
    _/      _/   _/      _/     E-mail: Dimitri.Bourilkov at cern.ch
   _/      _/   _/      _/     Web: http://l3www.cern.ch/~bourilko/
  _/_/_/_/     _/_/_/_/       Phone: +41-22-7679389  Home: +33-450406498