Authoring-tool for Russian

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Tue Oct 17 13:03:10 UTC 2000

It sounds to me that you may have to contend with more languages than
merely those that use the Cyrillic alphabet.  You might want to look
at

Global Solutions for Multilingual Applications: Real-World Techniques
for Developers and Designers
by Chris Ott, Christopher Ott. New York:  Wiley & Sons, 1999

This book is a useful introduction to the issues related to numerous
languages (including languages of Africa and Asia as well as those of
Eastern Europe).  I recommend it.

- Ben Rifkin

>For whom it may concern,
>
>The Language Center of the Lausanne University is getting ready to work in
>a multimedia language center and I am responsible for the Russian program.
>
>First of all, I have to ensure the transition from a traditional language
>lab into a multimedia center. For this,  we need an authoring tool,
>allowing, on the one hand to digitalize, then manipulate the existing
>material (audio-cassettes and videos), on the other hand to create new
>material (oral and written exercises with sound and image, texts to read
>and transform etc.).
>
>  As far as French and Spanish are concerned, we are successfully using a
>program called "SPEAKER AUTEUR". Unfortunately, this program does not work
>for Russian, since it cannot be cyrillized.
>
>That is why I am writing to you to find out whether you have any kind of
>information concerning an authoring-tool successfully working with Russian.
>
>I assure you in advance of my gratitude for any information you can give me.
>With best regards
>
>Rose Bader
>Centre de Langues, UNIL
>BFSH 2
>CH-1015 LAUSANNE
>SWITZERLAND

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Benjamin Rifkin

Associate Prof., Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706
voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814;

Director of the Russian School
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT  05753
voice:  802/443-5533; fax: 802/443-5394