Russian movie for third-year students

Patricia Chaput chaput at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Oct 20 15:37:01 UTC 2000

I'm always curious when I hear that teachers are looking for movies
without subtitles. I'm no expert on this subject but I seem to remember
reading research (by Tom Garza, I think, and there is probably an entire
literature on this subject) that indicated that subtitles not only were
not a negative for students, but that they even have a positive effect.
That has been my own experience--that students understand more (of the
Russian), can talk about the film more and generally have a much more
positive experience when they watch a film with subtitles.  Comprehending
a Russian film (especially if the video isn't excellent quality) can be
hard even for non-native teachers, especially if there are many
colloquialisms and if characters speak with their backs turned to the
camera.  When intermediate-level students watch a film and can't
understand a lot of it they can be very discouraged and even lose
confidence.  So I wouldn't worry about the subtitles, but perhaps others
have more information than I.

Patricia Chaput
Harvard University