Russian movie for third-year students

Sarah Krive kriv at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 20 20:26:13 UTC 2000

Have you seen/heard of the film "Strana glukhikh"?  It is a
"thriller" that catapulted the star (whose name I can't recall) into
instant stardom in, I think, 1998.  It has a lot of up-close shots of
people speaking slowly articulated Russian, too.  For its genre, it's
actually quite good.  I only know of it on PAL; perhaps a video store
carries it in VHS.

Regards,

Sarah Krive

>I know it would be hard for students to understand a movie with many
>colloquialisms, but that is why I am looking for something simpler. Moreover,
>I wouldn't show them a video of poor quality. Critically acclaimed movies are
>generally difficult, but I thought someone might know of a thriller, action
>movie or even soap opera which is very simple. I show students cartoons, such
>as Cheburashka, which we watch segment by segment, and they are quite pleased
>to find that they understand so much. It is very good for their self-esteem.
>However, I would like to find something that is geared toward an older
>audience...

***
Sarah A. Krive
122 M Street