Dictionary/phrasebook writing offer

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Oct 31 14:40:54 UTC 2000

The Ukrainian products are almost unusable. But I have talked with the
owners of the press and there heart is in it. It seems to be that they've
had amateurs do the work in the past and they themselves are not linguists
able to adjudicate the work. For instance, Ukrainian stuff was typeset in
Moscow, and some phonetic rules for Ukrainian in one publication were
changed to correspond to contemporary standard Russian. (!) HOWEVER, they
are distributed everywhere. And that is not to be sneezed at. Thus, they
shouldn't be ignored. It might be the only way for a less commonly taught
language text to get into Barnes & Noble coast to coast.

Rob De Lossa

>Would anyone like to comment on the quality of the
>books produced by Hippocrene already?
>They appear fairly amateurish and not always very
>helpful to me.
>Andrew Jameson
>Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
>Reviews Editor, Rusistika
>Listowner, allnet, cont-ed-lang, russian-teaching
>1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL   UK
>Tel: 01524 32371  (+44 1524 32371)
>
>----------
>From: Lvisson at AOL.COM
>To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
>Subject: Dictionary/phrasebook writing offer
>Date: 29 October 2000 16:45
>
>    If anyone knows the following languages - or knows someone who does –
>Hippocrene Books is looking for people to write small dictionary/phrasebooks
>for the following languages (into English).  All details are available from
>Hippocrene at the following e-mail:  contact at hippocrenebooks.com
>  If interested, please contact Hippocrene, not me. I'm just posting to try
>and find people who might want to do this.
>Lynn Visson
>Languages are:  Armenian, Bengali, Corsican, Dutch, Gujarati, Hausa, Hindi,
>French Cajun, Hungarian, Korean, Maharathi, Mongolian, Navajo, PA Dutch,
>Pushtu, Quebecois, Swahili, Tamil, Telegu, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yoruba.

>                http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.huri.harvard.edu