freedom of the press

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Sep 20 12:42:35 UTC 2000

>The German paper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung quoted this Russian joke:
>
>Why did the Ostankino television tower burn?
>Due to a collision with a foreign TV tower...
>
>Dorothy

The second half of the joke is as follows:

-What took them so long to put out the fire?
-They were waiting for the Norwegian "verxolazy".

>The maid comes back and says,
>-They want to have nobody rich in Russia anymore.
>-That's strange. My grandpa wanted to have nobody poor in Russia.

Makes for a great joke but hardly was true, the Decembrists were not
populists. However, these two lines well sum up some of the differences
between the Russians and the Americans: Russians constantly discuss (in the
official places) what to do with the rich, while Americans constatnly
discuss (welfare reform) what to do with the poor.

> On the other hand, Berezovskij, having stranded somewhere in Europe
>due to a breakdown of his personal jet plane, can hardly gain public support

He is in Washington DC to my knowledge and appeared in a few public places,
such as Georgetown University and FreedomForum.

>Jablinskij

Javlinskij. B sound in "Jabloko" comes from Boldyrev.

AI

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu