freedom of the press

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Sep 20 14:49:40 UTC 2000

>This is the thought of K. P. Pobedonoscev - written about century ago

Which means that "etogo ne budet, potomu chto etogo ne budet nikogda". Sad.

>Newspapers and TV channels became parts of large holdings owned by
>'oligarchs' - and they were the soldiers of the 'information wars'.
>In the same time they were talking that they express the will of the
>people. Funny, isn't it?

You are confusing speech with paying the bills. Somebody has to pay for
launching satelites, printing presses and the distribution. It could be a
government (BBC) or a person (Murdoch). The question is: do they control
what their employees are saying?

>And let me remind that 'N' in 'NTV' means 'Nezavisimoe'....

That is the President does not control what the journalists or even
jurnaljugi are saying (Tony Blair would get into trouble if he starts
controling BBC). Unlike Channel 1 which has been declared "prezidentskij
kanal". How many president's channel does the president need? If they all
say the same thing, isn't one enough. I remember that. Radio meant radio:
on and off.

>I am terribly tired of the people, who aren't ready for something
>else than hysteria.

No, quite the opposite, your quote from Pobedonoscev prepared us to see the
end of it, like in 1916.

>I voted for the current president. This was my choice. The choice I
>made and the choice for which I am responsible.

I hope he lives up to your hopes and expectations. And I hope you like his
rhetoric about "zamochit' v bachke". Sorry, the journalists transmitted his
words verbatim.

>If Gusinky, the owner of NTV, will lose his channel (by the way, he
>will get $400 Million for it) - I will not regret about it. He is the
>dinosaur of the Yeltsin's epoch - and this epoch is over.

If Gusinsky looses NTV it is because this is the price he pays for his
personal freedom. He has an NTV to buy his, what have you got to buy yours
if the moment comes?

>Yes, it is very important. But why 'only'? You forgot about the Russian
>public opinion.

Not at all, and you express it beautifully.

>Please read http://www.russ.ru/politics/articles/20000624_gpavl.html.
>G.Pavlovsky has expressed the ideas I share much better than I can.

I also liked the words of Shajgu, the original front man for Edinstvo, that
no more parties should be created, everybody should unite around the
existing one. I think we already witnessed that once.

AI

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu