freedom of the press

pyz at PANIX.COM pyz at PANIX.COM
Thu Sep 21 15:29:31 UTC 2000

> Just a reminder. I understand that in common usage of English,
> the Soviet Union and Russia are not actually distinguished.

Just a reminder I'm a native speaker of American English.  To me
the Soviet Union is distinctly different from Russia, though
in casual conversation it is too often mistakenly blurred.

Further, if you position yourself as an academic then you should
strive for precision in meaning and definition rather than
making casual references.  Or are your casual references an
indication of your preferences?

> Who cares whether the Russian mafias are actually transcaucasians
> or not.

Granted organizations such as the FBI lump organized criminal activity
originating by fSU types under the rubric ROC (Russian Organized Crime),
most of them these days are Russian-Jewish organizations along with the
semibankirschyna - Berezovsky, Gusinsky, et cetera.

> It is because Soviet Union was dominated by Russia or because
> Soviet Union was just a communist name for Romanov's Russian
> Empire. It is like saying the sun rises in the east, which may
> not be correct in scientific terms, but that is the way people
> say. If you wish to make a clear distinction, you should use
> the term RSFSR or RF instead of "Russia".

I generally do.

Last, since you sport an unmistakenly Japanese name and are affiliated with
a Japanese academic institution what are your thoughts and feelings on the
continued Russian Federation's (self-appointed successor state to the SU)
occupation of the Kuril islands?

Is the RF correct in its position stated by Putin that any sort of settlement
will stirrup negative nationalism and cause further unrest in the RF?

Should Japan continue to be patient or just forcibly overtake the islands seeing
that the Russian Federation's potential military threat, given its failings in
Chechnya and the sinking of the Kursk, just reinforced from cardboard cutouts?

Should Japan give up its claim to the Kurils conceding that they are the RF's
sovereign territory?

> Cheers,
> Tsuji

Max Pyziur                                     BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine
pyz at brama.com                                  http://www.brama.com/