Slavery? origins of the word "Slav" and its relation to "slave"

dawn daper at UMICH.EDU
Thu Sep 21 15:34:11 UTC 2000

The difference in meaning you mention of the words 'mir' i 'svet' between
Russian and Slovenian also exist within Russian.

Mir - peace, world
Svet - light, world (although more like the english 'earth' I think)
(Neba - heaven, the heavens
Vselennaia - universe
Kosmos - cosmos)

Can anyone say more about the distinction between the two and their usage?
They seem to be subtle variations of each other.

Thanks,

Dawn