Slavery? origins of the word "Slav" and its relation to "slave"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Sep 21 21:52:31 UTC 2000

Somewhere in Trifonov's novel Studenty there is a passage in which a
foreign student (Korean I seem to remember) at a New Year's student
party, after listening to Stalin's New Year speech, exclaims 'it is
surely no accident that only in Russian is the word for world and peace
the same!' (In medieval fashion, I quote from memory - I read it forty
years ago).

Will Ryan,
Warburg Institute

Jules Levin wrote:

> At 11:59 AM 9/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
> ".
> >
> >This is one of those subtleties that are lost in translation. Leo Tolstoy
> >implied all the meanings in his "Voina i mir".(War and Peace).
> >In translation only the idea of "peace" is preserved.
> >
> Perhaps, but the two meanings were spelled differently.  Mir = peace was
> unambiguous to Tolstoy and his readers.  That's why Mayakovsky could
> publish "War and the World", changing one letter.  This distinction is now
> lost in Russian, but preserved in translation.
> When we see the title "Huckleberry Finn"  do we think of the word 'fin',
> and ponder the subtleties?  I doubt it.

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

W. F. Ryan, MA, DPhil, FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute (School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square, LONDON  WC1H 0AB
tel: 020 7862 8940 (direct)
tel: 020 7862 8949 (switchboard)
fax: 020 7862 8939