Slavs and nemtsy

Leslie Farmer Zemedelec at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 22 14:30:20 UTC 2000

In a message dated 9/22/0 5:45:02, dwkaiser at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU writes:

<< It is entirely possible you just look like what an English speaker looks
like to the average person in Russia. I noticed while living there that it
was often, though not always, possible to guess someone's nationality based
on clothing, body language, hair, etc, long before a word of any language
was heard. Perhaps those you speak with notice something about you that
just screams "I am American!" and they don't listen to your words.

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that--maybe because while in the Czech
Republic, until I opened my mouth (and sometimes even then) I "looked like"
an Italian or French speaker.  Go figure!