the two mirs

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Sep 25 10:10:46 UTC 2000

Dear Nikolaus,

(See Nikolaus's query below)
Maybe there is a pre-1918 study which will allow this (I don't have
access to one).
The problem with modern reference works, e.g. the "Slovar russkogo
yazyka XI-XVII vv" is that there is only one head-word mir, in the modern
spelling, and the two "I"s have been brought together throughout, so that
comparison of historical citations of the usage of the two mirs is impossible
using this dictionary. (It does however keep the Yat' and the hard sign.)
The orthography of reprints of Preobrazhensky (originally 1910-14)
has likewise been updated.

Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Languages and Professional Development
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL UK
Tel: 01524 32371  (+44 1524 32371)

----------
From: Elisabeth Ghysels <ElisabethG at YUCOM.BE>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: the two mirs
Date: 24 September 2000 00:53

Dear Mr. Jameson,

the problem is of course, that this is just a possibility; it would be nice
if we could have some scientific proof, i.e. an old text where mir is used
both as society and as peace in a very practical sense, let's say a peace
treaty, and is spelled the same in both instances. Has anyone an opinion at
hand, from when the first text dates with evidently different spelling of
both mirs (that is, not counting different spelling probably due to writing
errors)?
Another question: are there other words in Russian, which are ambiguous now,
while they were distinct from each other as long as the i desjaterichnoe
existed?

Greetings,

Nikolaus

Dr. Nikolaus Lutz-Dettinger