onegin the film

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Sep 26 15:42:55 UTC 2000

>has anyone seen the recent (i believe american) film called onegin?

I have mixed feelings about it; it is often visually gorgeous,
looks authentic enough, and there are some fascinating scenes.
(Onegin's careful dressing, including his corset; some perfectly
played vicious society gossips).
But it lacks any spark of passion, it's truly bloodless. Liv Tyler
seems all wrong for Tatyana, though to be fair *any* flesh-and-blood
Tatyana would collide with our imagined versions.
All the Russians I know hate it ... Maybe some Russians have a more
positive opinion?
-FR

Francoise Rosset                          phone:  (508) 286-3696
Department of Russian                     fax:    (508) 286-3640
Wheaton College                           e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu
Norton, Massachusetts 02766