the two mirs

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Sep 29 14:18:50 UTC 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 Patrick.Seriot at SLAV.UNIL.CH wrote:

> >On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Andrij Hornjatkevyc wrote:
> >snip
> >> I do admit that spelling Vladimir with i-10 made it clear that he was a
> >> ruler of the world and not necessarily a peaceful ruler (i-8). Ask average
> >> Russians today to give the etymology of that name, and I suspect that the
> >> results may be 50% for world, and 50% for peace.
> >>
> >I do not know the basis of your suspicion but the standard interpretation
> >of "Vladimir" that they used to teach elementary and middle school
> >students is from own/master the world.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>
> >
> The etymology of Vladimir / Wolodimierz is the German surname Voldemar, so
> Vladimir has nothing to do neither with peace nor with world. Folk
> etymology is a dangerous game.
> Patrick SERIOT

I am wondering then what etimology you would attach to Vladislav, or
(Serbian) Ljubomir. The existance of the whole nest of the Slavic names
(with seemingly obvious morphemas) questions the idea of the origin
from Voldemar. Could it be vice versa?

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>