'kushat''

Peter Merrill pmerrill at ANDOVER.EDU
Mon Apr 2 02:34:07 UTC 2001

I think it's simply conversational and essentially universal. I was
at a fencing tournament today and wound up translating for the
organizers and when I went to look for one of the Russian fencers, I
was told by a 23-year old: Ona poshla pokushat'.  I'll be curious to
hear what others say about this. I don't think that it is either
substandard or dialectal now.
Best,
Peter Merrill

>Hello all. My question is: What is the sphere of usage and the 'status'
>of the verb 'kushat''? I have an emigre student who uses it instead of
>est', zavtrakat', etc., for example, when I ask the students what they
>did yesterday. Is it colloquial? Substandard? Dialectal?
>     Thanks!
>     Emily Tall

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Peter Merrill