'kushat''

Christopher Lemelin clemelin at BUCKNELL.EDU
Mon Apr 2 17:15:26 UTC 2001

SEELangers:

Last year I quizzed our Russian TA about this distinction, and she (a
graduate student in linguistics/pedagogy at MGU) gave an explanation
quite similar to that cited by Frank Miller (below), namely that
"kushat'" is limited, both in its forms and in the settings when it
is appropriate.

Best,
Christopher W. Lemelin

>A simple explanation and easy rule  to follow is given in the slightly
>dated "Trudnosti russkogo jazyka - spravochnik zhurnalista" M. 1981, ed. L.
>Rachmanovoj:
>
>V otlichie ot slova "est'" slova "kushat'" v literaturnoj rechi
>upotrebljaetsja ogranichenno: ono ispol'zuetsja v forme infinitiva
>(kushat'), povelitel'novo naklonenija (kushaj, kushajte) pri vezhlivom
>priglashenii k ede, pri obrashchenii s voprosom o zelanii est', po
>otnosheniju k detjam, a takzhe v rechi detej.
>
>V otlichie ot slova "est" slovo "kushat'" nel'zja upotrebljat' po
>otnosheniju k zhivotnym.
>
>Skazannoe otnositsja takzhe k upotrebleniju slov "dokushat', nakushat'sja"
>i dr.

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Christopher W. Lemelin, Assistant Professor
Russian and Linguistics
Department of Modern Languages
Bucknell University
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania  17837