Etymology of Prague?

J. Douglas Clayton daglas at EUDORAMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 3 19:24:41 UTC 2001

Dear SEELANGers

Naive question - can "Praha" not mean "rapids" (i.e. in a river - cf. Dniprovs'ki porohy - Ukr.)?

---
J. Douglas CLAYTON
Professor
Modern Languages & Literatures
University of Ottawa
Box 450 Stn A
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Canada                   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/daglas/

 "Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety."