Etymology of Prague?

Marc L. Greenberg mlg at KU.EDU
Wed Apr 4 11:31:22 UTC 2001

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Would that cluster also include Germanic berg and Slavic *breg?
> The b:b correspondence normally suggests PIE *bh (cf. bear vs.
> b(i/e)r-at')...

Right, the I.E. form would have been *bherg'ho-. The palatovelar suggested
to Vasmer that Slavic *berg- was borrowed from Germanic, but I don't know
that this assumption necessarily holds water (aside from the fact that a b
(e)reg is designed to hold water). I don't know why Paliga skipped these
obvious correspondences; in any event, I think his P-/B- are meant to be
cover symbols for the reflex in "Old European" (~= Illyrian, Thracian,
etc.), not I.E. proper.
Best regards,
Marc
======================