Etymology of Prague?

Marc L. Greenberg mlg at KU.EDU
Wed Apr 4 15:40:55 UTC 2001

Paul,
I propose that we move the discussion off the list, as we are moving into
arcanities, possibly resting on communicative misunderstandings, and we
are bound to be castigated--justifiably so--by SEELANGS subscribers
for wasting bandwidth.
Am I correct in understanding that you propose that Cz Praha would
have been borrowed through a Germanic intermediary? ("...if Slavic
borrowed it at a later stage after the Germanic consonant shift...") I don't
think this is what Paliga was suggesting, nor would I propose such a
thing. And since we don't know anything about how the "Old European"
initial consonant was pronounced, we can only surmise that it eventually
came to be pronounced as *p- by the time the Slavs heard it (from
Celts?).
Marc

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Marc L. Greenberg
Chair and Professor of Slavic
Languages & Literatures
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Kansas
1445 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 2134
Lawrence, KS 66045-7590
USA
Tel. and voice-mail: (785) 864-2349
Fax: (785) 864-4298 (write ATTN: Marc L. Greenberg,
Slavic Dept.)
E-mail: mlg at ku.edu