TRANSLATION PROBLEMS: REPLIES

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Apr 12 05:04:20 UTC 2001

I cannot be sure but I sense that the usage of "podruga" as "girlfriend"
might be dated to early twenties of the XX century (e.g., something like
"bojevaja podruga"), and "drug" as "boyfriend" started to show up in
the fifties but very rarely, since it went against the officially enforced
norms of the Soviet society. Many just called themselves "husbands" and
"wives" with the idea of being "v grazhdanskom brake" and to avoid any
extra attention to themselves from the party officials and bureaucrats.

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>