SEELANGS Digest - 13 Apr 2001 to 14 Apr 2001 (#2001-111)

Svetlana G McCoy sgmccoy at CISUNIX.UNH.EDU
Sun Apr 15 13:45:27 UTC 2001

Quoting Henry Kucera <Henry_Kucera at BROWN.EDU>:

> 1918,
> >> trenija,..

> Similar constructions also occur in colloquial Czech (and, I suspect,
> other
> Slavic languages as well).
>
> Henry Kucera

Also, in many non-Slavic languages: Irish, Rumanian, French (colloquial French,
especially Pied Noir French and Quebec French), Italian, Catalan,
Haitian, Arabic... (this is only a list of languages that have been discussed in
the literature as having a similar phenomenon)

the use of pronoun doubling in these languages may be motivated by different
purposes (morphological agreement, discourse functions, etc.) but i am not aware
of any crosslinguistic studies. any leads in that direction?

Sveta McCoy