help with a reference

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Apr 18 05:17:31 UTC 2001

Sorry to impose on somebody's good will (and everybody's time) but . . .

In a brief contribution to a festschrift I wrote that so-and-so "allows
himself too much of, in Nabokov's term, 'otsebyatina'." I provided no
reference, since I thought the term was too well-known to need one.

Now I have received my contribution back from the editor with an insistent
demand for a reference and, of course, a looming deadline. I can if
necessary omit Nabokov but I would prefer not to. But searching at very
short notice all of his writings on translation is a tall order. I checked
with the first edition of his four-volume translation/version-and-edition
of Evgeniy Onegin, to no avail . . .

I assume that at he will have used the term OTSEBYATINA least once in the
polemics in the *New York Review of Books* and *Encounter* of July 1965 -
May 1966. Even so, this may not be his first use of the term. However,
**any** reference to one of the times he uses the term (and explains it)
will serve.

If someone can assist me, and respond off-list, - thanks in advance!

Tom Priestly

*       Prof. Tom Priestly
*       Dept. Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
*       University of Alberta
*       Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA  T6G 2E6
*       telephone:      780-469-2920
*       fax:            780-492-9106
*       e-mail:         tom.priestly at ualberta.ca