Otsebiatina

David Powelstock d-powelstock at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Apr 18 22:18:10 UTC 2001

I've learned from this exchange, too.  I don't about what, exactly, Tom is
writing, but in some contexts it might be worth noting the aesthetic
implications of applying this word to any work of art.  According to Dal',
it refers to painting, as Brullov would have coined it (painting that is
insufficiently naturalistic, i.e. impressionistic avant la lettre).  20th-c.
dictionaries refer to *speech* in which the speaker's own words intrude
inappropriately in reported speech.  In either case, the pejorative use of
this term in reference to a work of art is special and stands quite apart
from its common usage, although there is semantic overlap.  The aesthetic
position, in its continuity and modification from Brullov to Nabokov is an
interesting one, although I don't know whether Tom has any reason to point
this out in *his* text.
Cheers,
David Powelstock