Research papers for sale: beware!

Gust Olson gust.olson at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Apr 20 15:13:42 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues,

Those research papers for sale folks are getting pretty brazen. I was
almost stung by the following request which, naively, I took as genuine.

>Hello,

Having recommended the student start either at the card catalogue or
_Tolstoy Studies Journal_, I was surprized to get a reply in a couple of
hours that requested some "Criticisms of those stories" for the student.
Thinking harder this time, I investigated the url of the original email
[@lazystudents.com] and voilĂ ! came to one of those sites. To which I sent
the cad.

This is not just an opportunity to publicly expose my simplicity, but to
warn any others of you who might be approached. Not only caveat emptor, but
caveat magister!

Gust Olson
Canadian Slavonic Papers