capitalization of holidays in Russian

Igor Silantev silantev at SSCADM.NSU.RU
Sun Apr 29 04:16:04 UTC 2001

Dear Christopher,

Please enter http://hammer.prohosting.com/~info4you/Holiday.html and
you will find the full list of Russian official holidays and
"pamyatnykh dnej" ("days of memory"? - there is a huge amount of them)
in their exactly capitalized names and even with references to the
Russian legislation. This list is based on primary legislation
documents, and it is really a very interesting source. For
example, the well known Pervoye Maya now has the official name
"Prazdnik Vesny i Truda", and the 7th of November is officialy called
as "Prazdnik soglasiya i primireniya". Bol'she ne mogu perechislyat',
bojus', rasplachus' ot umileniya!

As far as the series of Russian orthodox holidays, the better way to
find their names in exact capitalization is to see any Orthodox Church
calendar, for example the following:
http://www.jmp.ru/Kalendar/2001/1cont.htm. It is referred to the
official Web-site of the Russian Orthodox Church:
http://www.orthodox.org.ru/.

With best wishes,

Igor Silantev