Help please with translating Platonov!

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Feb 1 00:03:15 UTC 2001

I think that DEAD END is a very good solution but I would change your
translation of "i zazhali v SLEPOI PROKHOD" to "and hemmed me at the dead
end." I believe that you have a bigger problem with "na menya vagonetki
naskochili" mostly because "vagonetki" is difficult to translate without
any added ambiguity. I think that "na menya naskochili" is better
translated as "plunged at me" but I do not know if "cars" is the best
solution for "vagonetki" or someone can suggest a better solution. As I
understand, "cars" is better than "trucks" because I cannot find
modifiers for "trucks" that would make it certain the meaning is
"vagonetki" but "door-type, drop-bottom and drop-end cars" do narrow it
down to certain types of "vagonetki."

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>