Mac MS Word 98 and Russian

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 7 10:53:46 UTC 2001

Not irreversibly. Use the menu to choose "select all" and then apply
an Apple Cyrillic typeface to the entire text. (Body text and
footnotes will need to be done separately.) The only catch is that if
you put the cursor into the text, the word that you select may revert
back to the default (underscore) state and you then must re-apply the
Apple Cyrillic font.

Make sure you have the correct keyboards installed and that your Mac
has the Apple Cyrillic kit installed.

If the kit is installed and you are using OS 8.1 or later, and you
have keyboard/font  synchronization selected, then once you switch to
the Apple Cyrillic typeface for the document, you will be switched to
a Cyrillic keyboard (whichever one you've last used in the Cyrillic
set). Because of this, you won't be able to use keyboard commands for
Word, but will need to use the toolbar icons or pull-down menus.

This perhaps is a jerry-rigged solution for the underlying problem,
but it has worked reliably  and efficiently for me.

Robert De Lossa, Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute

>There is a bug in Mac Word 98 when dealing with Russian text. It is
>possible to type Russian text normally, but the next time the file is
>opened, all of the Russian characters will be converted into
>underscores (interestingly, it the Mac file is reopened in Windows
>before being reopened on a Mac, this problem does not occur). The
>same happens if Russian text is pasted into an open Word 98 file from
>the clipboard, or if a Mac MS Word 5.1 file with Russian text is
>opened in Mac MS Word 98. All of the Russian characters are
>irreversibly changed to  underscores.
>
>Does anyone know a solution for this bug?
>
>Greg Thomson

>                http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.huri.harvard.edu