Mac MS Word 98 and Russian

Denis Crnkovic cronk at GAC.EDU
Wed Feb 7 20:21:50 UTC 2001

I have used various fonts and patches with progressive versons of Word for
the Mac (I use a simple, in house font with my Windows 95 Word version and
have never had any problems with it). I settled on the cRussify plug-ins a
few years ago. When Word 98 came out, all I got was those "lovely lines"
until the cRussify people provided a translation utility that adapts older
versions of Word (Word 6.x) to Word 98. It works most of the time, but it's
fiddly. You have to make sure that the file you want to convert from Word
6.x to Word 98 is indeed in  Word 6.x format (you can save documents in
Word 98 as Word 6.0 files) and then run it through the converter. It takes
a few extra minutes, but it's worth it for crucial files. I just ignore the
less important files.

Question is, is MacOS9 or 10 Cyrillic support compatible with anything
we've been using up to now, or will we have to re-type everything?

As for giving up on Word altogether becuase "it doesn't support languages
very well;" well, computersin general  are notorious for not supporting
languages very well.  When new versions of any software come on line, it's
almost a given that e software manufacturer will not ask  such important
qustions as "Will this new version be usable by all the people out there
who need to have languages other than English?" We have to keep after the
techies or we'll never have what we need.

Best to all,

DC