SCLA Second Annual Conference

Stephen Dickey smd6n at VIRGINIA.EDU
Wed Feb 14 18:23:49 UTC 2001

SECOND ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON SLAVIC COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS:
CALL FOR PAPERS

Conference dates: 1213 October, 2001 at the University of Virginia,
Charlottesville.

Guest speaker: TBA

Abstracts are invited for 20-minute presentations addressing issues of
significance for cognitive linguistics. We define cognitive linguistics as
any linguistic endeavour aimed at providing explanations of linguistic
phenomena which are psychologically plausible, i.e. characterizing "the
psychological structures that constitute a speakers linguistic ability"
(Langacker). As long as there is a cognitive orientation, papers may be in
any of the traditional areas of synchronic or diachronic phonetics,
phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, discourse analysis or
sociolinguistics. Presentations will be followed by a 10-minute discussion
period.

Presentations may be in the native language of the presenter; however, if
the presentation is not to be made in English we ask that you provide the
abstract in English in addition to an abstract in any other languagelast
time there were too many problems with fonts in attached documents.

Papers may also be submitted for two poster sessions, one (I) for
presenters who will be at the confer-ence, and one (II) for presenters who
will not be able to come to the conference, but would like to participate.
For poster session II, presenters should send their posters (2-3 pp.) in
large-font format, including their name and email address, as email
attach-ments, and the organizers will print them out and display them at
the poster session. Discussion of posters in session II will be relayed to
presenters via email.

Deadline for receipt of abstracts: 1 May 2001

Please send abstracts and any inquiries to:

Stephen Dickey (smd6n at virginia.edu)