Atlas

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Fri Feb 16 15:56:56 UTC 2001

Hi,

I would like to thank Dan Collins for bringing to the attention of
some of us (and no doubt merely reminding others) the existence of
this volume:

Obshcheslavianskii Lingvisticheskii Atlas, Seriia
Leksiko-slovoobrazovatel'naia, Vypusk I: Zhivotnyi Mir

Truly a tremendous resource!

>From Map 15 (pp. 54-5) the range of "s^is^mis^" is extremely
restricted, being confined to northern and eastern Croatia and,
spasmodically, occurring on the littoral. These data accord well
with the data supplied to me by the people who have answered my
original Seelangs posting. "S^is^mi^s" also pops up in southern
Slovenia. According to "Atlas" the situation in Slovenia is a
confused one. The standard would seem to be "netopir", but
"piruz^ek" (?), "polmis^(a)", as well as variants of "netopir",
e.g. "letopir", are encountered.

John Dingley