Childhood/innocence: summary

David J. Galloway galloway at HWS.EDU
Sat Feb 17 02:40:43 UTC 2001

Dear Seelangers:

Deep, deep appreciation for your responses on this.  I am posting to the
list because I've never received so many suggestions following a query (56),
not to mention requests for a summary (43).  That alone indicates that many
of you would find this useful, so I apologize for not mailing this out
individually--I was completely swamped.

Thanks also to those who found the topic interesting and offered words of
encouragement--I can only hope that the students respond as enthusiastically
as you all have.  Sometime in the fall I will send (to those who have
requested it) a concrete syllabus from the course.

So, here is the summary of suggestions of works on childhood/loss of
innocence.  If you have even more suggestions, I for one would still welcome
them.  But this list is quite hefty enough to get started (apologies in
advance for typos/errors--it was quickly assembled and sorted
automatically):

"Konduit i Shvambraniya" -awaiting reference
Aitmatov, Chingiz.  "Pegii pes, begushii karem moria.", "The White
Steamship."  "Early cranes. "Mankurt" episode/legend from "Bolshe veka
dlitsia den"
Akhmatova, Anna.  "U samogo morya."
Aleksin, Anatolij.  "A tem vremenem gde-to."
Aleshkovskii, Iuz.  The Hand
Alieva, Fazu.  "Springs are Born in the Mountains"
Anar, "Kontakt"
Andreev, Leonid  "In the Fog"
Babel, Isaac.  "My First Goose."  "The Awakening." "The Story of My
Dovecot," "In the Basement," "You Must Know Everything"
Bely, Andrei.  "Kotik Letaev."
Bitov, Andrei.  Stories from Uletaiushchii Monakhov, Aptekarskii ostrov
(No-Ga)
Chekhov's "Van'ka", "Spat' khochetsia"
Dostoevky: "Mal'chiki" from Brothers K., Netochka Nezvanova, Mal'chik u
Xrista na elke, Malen'kii geroi
Goncharov, A chapter from Oblomov on detstvo Iliushechiki
Gorenshtein, Fridrikh  "Psalom"
Gorky, Childhood
Ioseliani, Otia.  "The Outsider."
Iskander, Fazil.  Stories featuring "Chik", "Dni i nochi Chika"
Kazakov, Yuri.  "Man'ka," "Golubnoe i zelenoe."
Kuliev, Kaisyn.  "Gallop, My Donkey."
Makine, Andrei.  "Dreams of my srussian Summer."  Once Upon the River Love
Matevosyan, Grant "Among the Old Hills Under Clear Skies."
Nabokov, Chapters from Speak Memory
Nagibin, "Echo."
Olesha, Yuri.  "Human Material, " Liompa, " "The Chain."'
Panova, Vera.  Serezha
Petrushevskaia, "Nash krug."
Platonov, Andrei   "Eshche mama" and a host of other stories with children
in them, "Iulskaya groza," "Nikita."
Pulatov, Timur.  Strasti Bukharskogo Doma
Rasputin, "French Lessons."
Shalamov, Varlam.  "A Child's Drawings"
Sokolov, Sasha.  "School for Fools."
Sologub, short stories, "V plenu," "Tolpa," "The Worm"
Solzhenitsyn's "Sluchai na stantsii Krechetova"
Tendriakov, Vladimir.  "A topsy-turvy spring." ("Vesennie perevertyshi"),
"Para gnedykh," "Parania," "Khleb dlia sobaki"
Tolstaya, Tatyana.  "Svidanie s ptitsey," "Loves Me, Loves me Not," "On the
Golden Porch," "Peters."
Tolstoy, Childhood, and  miniatures from Tolstoy's Azbuka (e.g., "Filippok")
Tsvetaeva, Marina, Moi Pushkin & Mat' i muzyka
Ulitskaya, Liudmilla.  "March 1953" (Vtorogo marta togo zhe goda)
Young, Cathy.  Growing up in Moscow (emigre account of Soviet life)

________________________________

David J. Galloway
Assistant Professor of Russian
Dept. of Modern Languages