Leningradskij vokzal

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Mon Jan 8 09:21:24 UTC 2001

As far as I know, the renaming of Leningrad to Petersburg happened
only in that town. The name of the oblast' (Leningradskaja oblast'),
Moscow's Leningradskoe shosse and Leningradskij vokzal haven't changed.
I have a feeling that renaming fever has ended.
  I still very often hear people say Leningrad instead of Peterburg --
few people outside Petersburg know St Petersburg can be referred to by
dropping the "St". An employee at the Moscow's cetral post office
did not know what SPb stood for (ten days ago).
  On the other hand, older tube station names like "Kirovskaja,
Dzherzhinskaja" may  not be understood by young folks.

Cheers,
Tsuji