Viewing unicode with Eudora 5.02

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Sat Jan 13 02:13:48 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues,
  Will everybody please refrain from using non-ASCII characters
in our correspondence? ASCII characters can indeed represent
Russian and other Slavonic characters very well (only the Library
of Congress transliteration WITHOUT slurs and diacritical marks
is too defective).

The most normal transliteration scheme of Russian alphabet is
  a b v g d e jo zh z i j k l m n o p r s t u f kh c ch sh shch " y ' e ju ja

though I would have thought
  a b w g d e    zh z i j k l m n o p r s t u f kh c ch sh shh " y ' eh ju ja

would be less ambiguous (the letter <h> consistently functions as a modifier;
<jo> eliminated to avoid an awkward case of <Jordan>).
  An alternative scheme exists that encodes yo, yu, ya -- a good scheme
really, but unfortunately one is not used to it.

UNICODE may be OK, but very few application -- particularly none of the
good publishing software -- understand it at the moment (you need to be
in a Windows 2000 environment, at least). In your private correspondence
any encoding will do, but our forum's official language and encoding
are English and ASCII only. Foreign words can be cited, but should not be
used as the language of description.
 Incidentally, I am not saying any exchange of information such as how
to read an in-house encoding of Microsoft should be avoided.

Cheers,
Tsuji