Lincoln's Between Heaven and Hell

George Gutsche gutscheg at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jul 12 21:10:43 UTC 2001

I used it with college freshmen in a large culture course (150 students). My
experience was that students found it too demanding. I think that the book
assumes a level of sophistication in the arts (and a general knowledge of
Russian and world history) that most students don't have yet. Nonetheless,
if you like the book I would recommend that you try it--I was dealing with a
pretty large group and our discussions were limited. If your class is
relatively small and you can provide time for discussing (and explaining)
each chapter, you may have a different experience.
George Gutsche
U of Arizona