marriage statistics

Natalie O. Kononenko nkm at UNIX.MAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Jul 24 17:32:11 UTC 2001

Dear Seelangers,
        I have question that I have trouble getting answered.
I'm writing about weddings (and other things) in Ukraine and I
would love to find some marriage and divorce statistics.  Any
suggestions?  Or is finding this sort of data, esp. for
Ukraine, too much of a political hot potato?
        To give you some background, I am a folklorist and
ethnographer.  I have lots of my own descriptions, collected
during my own field work.  I have archival materials.  But, it
would be great if I could support my contention that marriage
was extremely important but showing the it was virtually
universal, esp. in villages.  Are there any published sources I
can use?  I have just gotten back from Ukraine and I was
writing up my work when I decided that some statistics would be
a great way to back up the descriptive material I collected.
        Any help would be most appreciated.

Natalie Kononenko