R: kindly help with surnames

Uladzimir Katkouski katkovski at OSI.HU
Fri Mar 2 15:32:59 UTC 2001

Paetkau / Petkau ?
It can very well be a Belarusan name, especially if it is a contemporary
spelling. Previously, I mean under Soviets, it would be written according to
Russian transliteration rules as Paetkov, Petkov. But current trend is to
transliterate directly from Belarusan. The last letter there is not normal
"u" but "u^" that is "u nieskladovaje" (non-syllabalic "u"), and "o" turns
into "a" thanks to "akannie", e.g. Iv'anov (rus)  becomes Ivanau (bel). I
hope this helps.

Uladzik
---
http://www.geocities.com/uladzik